- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces and skin removed
- 2 large sweet white or yellow onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 small pieces (2 to 3 inches) of cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Mix all ingredients in a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot. Cover and cook over medium to medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour, or until the chicken is very tender and pulls easily off the bone. Do not add water, and be careful not to burn the chicken.
Reduce the liquids until they are mostly oils. Discard the cinnamon sticks and taste for seasoning. (The sauce should be a bit salty and peppery.)
Serve the chicken and sauce on a bed of rice or hidden within a mound of steamed broken vermicelli or couscous (Seffa Medfouna).